India records some of the highest numbers of road accidents in the world. Besides the faulty road construction, a majority of these accidents are due to negligent driving skills. Rash driving puts yours and other people’s lives in danger. What people in India need to understand is that following the traffic safety rules will help control the road accident rates and save lives?
Additionally, being a victim in a road accident can damage your vehicle and cost you a fortune. In such times, a comprehensive bike insurance policy will undoubtedly cover the damage repair expenses incurred. In fact, bike insurance is a mandatory document if you want to ride on the Indian roads. If you do not have an active policy, you will be charged with an e challan.
What is the fine for driving without a valid bike insurance plan?
As per the New Motor Vehicle Act of 2019, riding without a valid bike insurance policy will attract a hefty fine of Rs. 2000 and/or imprisonment of up to three months for the first offence. For consecutive offences, the fine is up to Rs. 4000 and/or imprisonment of up to three months.
So, is the penalty same for all the vehicles?
Yes. The fine for riding/driving without a valid motor insurance plan in India is the same for all vehicles regardless of its type (bike, private car, or commercial vehicle). Therefore, it is best to buy a bike insurance plan (such as Bajaj bike insurance) and renew it on time if you want to avoid getting fined.
Since you can now buy motor insurance online, the process has become easy and hassle-free. You can buy/renew your two wheeler insurance policy by visiting the insurer’s website. Below we’ve mentioned the steps you need to follow when buying bike insurance online in India.
- Visit the insurer’s official website and go to the ‘Bike Insurance’ section.
- Choose the type of coverage you need – third party or comprehensive.
- Select the add-on covers (if you need any).
- Enter personal and vehicle-related information as requested.
- Review your policy details before paying the premium.
- Make the premium payment online.
- The insurer will assess your application and issue the policy shortly.
What happens when you get caught without a bike insurance policy?
The following are the consequences of being caught without a valid bike insurance plan.
- You need to park your bike aside and show your vehicle registration certificate along with your driving licence.
- If these documents are up to date, there will be no other consequences or offences charged under your name.
- For driving without a valid bike insurance plan, the traffic police will issue a challan immediately. You can pay the traffic challan online or offline as per your convenience.
The Bottom Line
If you want to ride/drive your motor vehicle legally in India, it is mandatory to carry a valid driving licence, motor insurance, registration certificate, PUC, etc. with you at all times. Failing to present any of these documents when asked by the traffic police can attract hefty fines.