It’s difficult to control the climate of a business premises – especially the case when there’s a high volume of people coming and going, continuously opening and closing doors as they do so.
This challenge can lead to immoderate temperatures and discomfort for the people on the premises, as well as soaring energy bills – a real issue given the current economic climate.
Air curtains are an intelligent solution to this problem, offering a range of additional benefits to boot. So, what are air curtains and how do they work? In this article, we’ll answer these questions and more.
What are air curtains?
Air curtains are fan-powered devices that create an air barrier over a doorway. This effectively separates the two different environments on each side of the doorway, while still allowing people to pass through.
How do air curtains work?
Air curtains work using three main components: the inlet grille, internal fans, and air outlet.
First, air enters the inlet grille, where it’s filtered to remove dust and particles. After moving through the inlet grill and into the main unit, the air is compressed by internal fans. Some air curtains also use a coil to heat the air. Then, it’s forced through an air outlet and into the doorway.
What are the benefits of air curtains?
There are several different advantages that air curtains offer. The most significant of these include:
- Temperature regulation: Using an air curtain prevents heat transfer between different spaces. This gives an effective solution for maintaining the desired temperature inside a business premises.
- Energy saving: With a reduction in heat transfer comes a reduction in energy loss. Removing the need to use heating or air conditioning can lead to significant savings costs.
- Healthier environment: The air barriers that air curtains create block the movement of pests and insects, as well as dust, fumes, and bad odours.
- Greater safety: An open doorway with an air curtain gives an easy evacuation point in the case of emergencies. There’s also less chance of collision taking place since there’s greater visibility.
- Attractive doorway: Air curtains allow businesses to keep doors open as an invitation to customers. With the door functioning much like a shop window, this can lead to higher traffic and resulting sales.
What are air curtains used for?
Thanks to their many benefits, air curtains can be used for a variety of applications.
First and foremost, they are used in situations where there’s a need to prevent temperature change through an open doorway. They’re usually used for this purpose in shop doorways, to help maintain a comfortable climate for customers inside the business premises. They’re also used in the doorways of cold storage units to reduce temperature change while the door is open.
However, since they effectively prevent the entry of pests and pollutants, they can also be used to ensure the cleanliness of a premises. This is especially important in settings such as kitchens, factories, and laboratories, where contamination can have a detrimental impact on product quality.